- January 2 - Jim Harrer, co-founder of Mustang Software (makers of the Wildcat! BBS system) becomes President and COO of Starbase Corporation in Santa Ana, California.
- February 27 - John Sankus, Jr., 28, of the piracy group "DrinkOrDie" pleads guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement. He is sentenced in May to 46 months in federal prison.
- May 3 - Barry Erickson, of the piracy group DrinkOrDie, pleads guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement as a result of Operation Buccaneer. He is sentenced to 33 months in prison followed by two years of supervised release.
- May 17 - John Sankus, Jr., of the piracy group "DrinkOrDie" is sentenced to 46 months in prison for his part in the copying of software through IRC and Internet channels. His is the second sentencing of the members of the group, after Barry Erickson, who had been given a 33 month term a few weeks earlier on May 2nd.
- September 27 - Andre Durand, author of Mindwire BBS Software for Windows NT, releases the Mindwire Software for Free Download from his website.
- October 3 - Scott Dudley of Lanius Corporation officially releases Maximus BBS Software under the GNU Public License. This final version is 3.02.
- Scott, Jason. The TEXTFILES.COM BBS Timeline.